Learn how to start an eyelash business with our step-by-step guide.
If you have a passion for beauty, enjoy helping people enhance their appearance and have an eye for detail, starting an eyelash business can be a fulfilling and profitable venture. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of starting an eyelash business, including creating a business website, and provide you with valuable insights to help you succeed in the industry.
What is an eyelash business?
This type of business focuses on offering eyelash extension services to clients. This can include classic lash extensions, volume lash extensions, lash lifts, lash tinting and other related services. Eyelash businesses cater to individuals who want to enhance their beauty and achieve a more glamorous and eye-catching look. These services are typically provided in a salon or dedicated eyelash studio.
Is an eyelash business profitable?
An eyelash business can be profitable but success in this industry depends on several factors, including market demand, competition, quality of service, marketing strategies, and customer satisfaction. Here are some reasons why an eyelash business can be profitable:
Eyelash extensions require regular maintenance and touch-ups, typically every 2-4 weeks. This leads to consistent repeat business from clients who want to maintain their lash extensions.
Quality eyelash extension services are often priced at a premium due to the intricate and time-consuming nature of the process. Clients are generally willing to pay more for well-executed, natural-looking extensions.
In addition to eyelash extensions, you can offer related services like lash lifts, tinting, and retailing lash care products, which can contribute to higher revenue.
However, it’s important to note that the eyelash industry is competitive, and success isn’t guaranteed. You’ll need to focus on providing exceptional customer experiences, staying updated on industry trends, marketing effectively and continuously improving your skills and services.
How to start an eyelash business
Starting an eyelash business requires careful planning, preparation and strategic execution. Here are seven essential steps to guide you through the process:
- Research and education
- Develop a business plan
- Set up your business
- Purchase supplies and equipment
- Set up your workspace
- Develop a pricing strategy
- Market your eyelash business
01. Research and education
Invest time in researching the eyelash industry, current trends and local market demand. Take advantage of online resources, attend industry conferences or trade shows and consider enrolling in professional eyelash extension courses to gain the necessary skills and knowledge.
02. Develop a business plan
Create a comprehensive business plan that outlines your goals, target market, competitive analysis, marketing strategies, financial projections and operational plans. Your business plan should include:
- Executive summary: A concise overview of your eyelash business, its mission and key differentiators.
- Market analysis: Research and analyze your target market, competition and industry trends in the eyelash industry.
- Services and specializations: Detail the eyelash extension services you offer, including classic lash extensions, volume lash extensions, lash lifts and other related services.
- Pricing structure: Define your pricing strategy, considering factors such as materials, time and expertise required for each service.
- Marketing and promotion: Identify marketing strategies to reach your target audience, including online marketing, social media presence and partnerships with other beauty businesses.
- Financial projections: Create a financial forecast that outlines startup costs, ongoing expenses, revenue projections and profitability analysis.
- Operational plan: Describe your business structure, management approach and plans for staffing and training.
- Business triage: An essential part of any small business owner’s management plan, business triage is a system for assessing, diagnosing and prioritizing business problems.
Once you’ve written your business plan, write a concept statement to outline your vision.
03. Set up your business
Choose a suitable name for your business using dedicated tools like Wix’s business name generator and then register your business with the appropriate local authorities. Determine your business entity or structure (sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, etc.) and obtain any required licenses or permits to operate legally. Additionally, consider getting liability insurance to protect your business.
North America is the largest market for eyelash extensions, accounting for over 36.78% of global sales. If you’re looking to start an eyelash business in a specific state, here are some helpful resources:
- How to start a business in Massachusetts
- How to start a business in Florida
- How to start a business in California
- How to start a business in Arizona
- How to start a business in Texas
- How to start a business in Washington
- How to start a business in Utah
- How to start a business in Virginia
- How to start a business in Michigan
- How to start a business in North Carolina
- How to start a business in Georgia
04. Purchase supplies and equipment
Invest in high-quality eyelash extension supplies and equipment to deliver excellent service and ensure client satisfaction. Essential supplies may include lash extensions, adhesives, tweezers, lash palettes and sanitizing products. Research reputable suppliers and compare prices to find the best quality products within your budget.
05. Set up your workspace
Create a clean, comfortable and inviting workspace where you can provide eyelash extension services. Ensure proper lighting, ventilation and sanitation practices. Set up a comfortable bed or reclining chair for clients, along with a workstation equipped with all the necessary tools and supplies.
06. Develop a pricing strategy
Determine your pricing structure based on factors such as the type of lash extensions, complexity of the service and local market rates. Consider the cost of materials, time required for each service and desired profit margins. Research the prices charged by competitors in your area to remain competitive while offering value to your clients. Don’t forget to factor in your tax liabilities also, whether corporate tax or other kinds.
07. Market your eyelash business
Promote your eyelash business to attract clients and build a strong brand presence. Consider the following marketing strategies:
- Develop a strong brand identity: Design a memorable logo with Wix’s logo maker and create consistent branding to set your eyelash business apart. Create a unique value proposition that showcases your professionalism and commitment to customer satisfaction in the industry. Get inspired by this collection of eyelash logo ideas.
- Create a professional website: Establish an online presence by making a website using platforms like Wix. Showcase your eyelash services, provide contact information and share client testimonials or before-and-after photos.
- Utilize social media: Leverage social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook to showcase your work, engage with potential clients and build a community. Share high-quality images of your eyelash extensions, post client testimonials and run promotions or giveaways to increase visibility.
- Collaborate with influencers: Partner with local beauty influencers or bloggers who have a strong online presence. Offer them complimentary eyelash extensions in exchange for reviews, social media mentions or sponsored content to reach a wider audience.
- Network with beauty professionals: Try networking with local salon owners, makeup artists, estheticians and other beauty professionals. Develop mutually beneficial relationships, such as referrals or cross-promotions, to expand your client base.
- Offer special promotions: Attract new clients by offering special promotions or discounted introductory rates. Consider loyalty programs or referral incentives to encourage repeat business and word-of-mouth marketing.
By following these steps, you’ll be on your way to starting your eyelash business. In the next section, we’ll explore strategies for effectively managing and promoting your eyelash business for long-term success.
Tips for managing an eyelash business effectively
Managing an eyelash business requires a combination of operational expertise, strategic decision-making and effective leadership. Here are five essential steps to manage your eyelash business effectively:
- Build a strong team: Assemble a team of skilled eyelash technicians who share your passion for beauty and client satisfaction. Hire technicians hwith relevant training and experience in eyelash extensions. Invest in ongoing training and development programs to enhance their skills and stay updated on the latest techniques and trends.
- Streamline operations and processes: Develop streamlined processes and workflows to improve efficiency and ensure smooth service delivery. Utilize scheduling software to manage appointments, automate reminders and maintain client records. Implement inventory management systems to track supplies and ensure you have an adequate stock of lash extensions and other products.
- Prioritize client experience: Focus on providing exceptional customer service to enhance the client experience. Ensure that your team is knowledgeable, friendly and attentive to clients’ needs. Personalize each appointment, actively listen to clients’ preferences and offer professional advice to achieve the desired lash look.
- Maintain health and safety standards: Adhere to strict health and safety protocols to protect both clients and staff. Follow proper sanitation practices, use high-quality and hypoallergenic products, and maintain a clean and hygienic workspace. Regularly update your knowledge of health regulations and guidelines to ensure compliance.
- Seek feedback and continuously improve: Regularly seek feedback from clients to understand their satisfaction levels and identify areas for improvement. Encourage them to provide testimonials or reviews that you can showcase on your website and social media platforms. Actively listen to feedback and take steps to address any concerns or suggestions to enhance your services.
By implementing these management strategies, you can ensure the smooth operation of your eyelash business and deliver exceptional results to your clients.
Examples of successful eyelash businesses to inspire you
Each of these eyelash businesses demonstrates a unique and compelling online presence, catering to different customer preferences and needs. Through their visually appealing websites and attention to detail, they have successfully established strong brand identities and built a loyal customer base within the competitive eyelash industry.
- Black Marble Beauty exudes elegance and sophistication through its well-designed website, catering to customers seeking a luxurious eyelash experience. Their website features an exclusive collection of premium eyelash extensions, as well as an easy-to-navigate booking system. The minimalist design and sleek aesthetic align perfectly with their brand image, showcasing a commitment to excellence.
- The Black Lash presents a bold and trendy approach to eyelash products through their website. The use of eye-catching visuals reflects the company’s youthful and edgy personality. Their easy-to-navigate interface allows customers to explore various options and find the perfect fit for their individual style. The Black Lash’s website also offers comprehensive information on aftercare, highlighting their dedication to ensuring customer satisfaction and enhancing the overall eyelash experience.
- Sarah’s Beauty Studio exudes a warm and inviting atmosphere through their website, creating a sense of comfort and trust for their clients. The website showcases Sarah’s expertise in eyelash extensions, with before-and-after images that highlight the transformative power of her services. Sarah’s personalized approach shines through, offering individualized consultations to tailor eyelash styles to each client’s unique features and preferences. The website also features a booking platform, streamlining the appointment process and ensuring a seamless customer experience.
Why start an eyelash business? Top benefits to consider
The eyelash extension market size is estimated to grow by $569.8 million from 2023 to 2027. Here are some more reasons to consider starting your own eyelash business:
- Booming beauty industry: The beauty industry is thriving, and eyelash extensions have become increasingly popular in recent years. With the growing demand for beauty services, there is a constant need for skilled eyelash technicians who can provide high-quality and personalized services to clients.
- Creative expression: As an eyelash business owner, you have the opportunity to showcase your creativity and artistry. Every client is unique, and you can tailor your lash extension services to their specific preferences and desired look. From natural and subtle to dramatic and glamorous, you can bring out the beauty in each individual.
- Client satisfaction and relationship building: Eyelash extensions can significantly enhance a client’s appearance and boost their confidence. By providing excellent service and delivering beautiful results, you can build long-term relationships with clients, leading to repeat business and referrals.
- Low startup costs: It’s easier to raise money for your business when startup costs are lower. Compared to other businesses in the beauty industry, starting an eyelash business is less expensive. You’ll need to really understand the cost of starting a business in your chosen industry. You can start by bootstrapping from your personal savings and gradually expand your inventory as your business grows.
- High-profit margins: Eyelash extensions are a high-margin service, allowing you to generate substantial revenue per client. With proper pricing and efficient time management, you can achieve a healthy profit margin for your business. Make sure to take all expenses into account to calculate your net profit.
- Growing client demand: The demand for eyelash extensions continues to grow as people increasingly prioritize their appearance and self-care. By offering quality services and staying updated on the latest trends and techniques, you can attract a steady flow of clients.
- Scalability and expansion opportunities: Once you establish a solid client base and gain experience, you can expand your business by hiring and training additional lash technicians, opening multiple locations or offering complementary beauty services.
Challenges of running an eyelash business
While starting a business has numerous benefits, it also comes with its own set of challenges:
- Skill development: Providing eyelash extension services requires specialized skills and training. It’s essential to invest in quality education and continuous professional development to master the techniques and stay updated on industry advancements.
- Intense competition: The beauty industry is highly competitive. Standing out from the competition and attracting clients requires a combination of skill, excellent customer service and effective marketing strategies.
- Client retention: Building a loyal client base is crucial for the success of your eyelash business. Ensuring client satisfaction, addressing concerns promptly and consistently delivering high-quality services are essential to retain clients and generate repeat business.
- Health and safety considerations: Working around the eye area requires strict adherence to health and safety protocols. Proper sanitation, hygiene practices and using high-quality products are vital to protect your clients’ well-being and maintain a positive reputation.
How to start an eyelash business FAQ
Other business ideas you might be interested in
- How to start an online business
- How to start a consulting business
- How to start a fitness business
- How to start a fitness clothing line
- How to start a makeup line
- How to start a candle business
- How to start a clothing business
- How to start an online boutique
- How to start a T-shirt business
- How to start a jewelry business
- How to start a subscription box business
- How to start a beauty business
- How to sell crafts online
- How to start a DJ business
- How to start a dropshipping business
- How to start an online boutique
- How to start a car wash business
- How to start a baking business
- How to start a laundromat business