Ready to launch a business website? Learn more about the best website builders for small businesses.
Building a business website is no longer the chore it used to be. In the past, creating a website meant hiring a developer and a designer, or taking classes to learn how to do it on your own. Today, it’s easier than ever. With the help of a website builder, you can achieve a polished and captivating website that appeals to your audience without needing to be a tech whiz or a design expert.
In this guide, we’ll explore the best website builders for small businesses that offer an array of customizable templates, intuitive drag-and-drop features and user-friendly interfaces to bridge the gap between your unique vision and technical know-how. Whether you run a boutique clothing shop, a consulting firm or a local yoga studio, we’ll show you the best tools for creating a business website that mirrors your brand’s essence and captures the attention of your target audience.
Ready to create a website? Sign up with Wix and take our website builder for a test drive.
Best website builders for small businesses
- Square Online
- 10Web AI Builder
Wix is one of the best website builders for small businesses, whether you’re starting a business for the first time or looking to scale an existing operation. In the very earliest stages of concepting, you can even use Wix’s free Business Name Generator and Logo Maker to lay the foundation of your professional brand.
As for how to create a website, there are hundreds of designer-made business website templates and online store templates to choose from. Each template has fully customizable features that can be modified manually or with the help of AI (think: an AI text creator or AI image editing tools). Your account dashboard even boasts a handy checklist, guiding you through the intricacies of how to make a business website ready for publishing.
Once you’ve got your website up and running, you can use a host of native tools and integrations to make day-to-day business operations easier. Sell products, services and accept online bookings effortlessly. Check out Wix’s dropshipping website builder, or branch into additional revenue streams with print on demand services, online courses, digital downloads and live events, all from within the same platform. Plus, Wix enables multichannel selling on Amazon, eBay, Facebook and other leading platforms, all from your website dashboard.
As a Wix user, you also get access to advanced analytics, inventory tracking, email marketing, social media management tools, advertising through Google, Facebook and Instagram, and more.
You can sign up with Wix for free and create a fully functioning website. Once your site is up and running, you can consider upgrading to a premium account for access to advanced features such as connecting a domain, removing Wix ads, payment tools and more.
Key features of Wix
- Easy drag-and-drop interface for uncomplicated website creation
- Comprehensive AI editor that can build you a professional website in minutes
- Fully control layouts, fonts, colors and more to match your brand
- Optimized for mobile users for a consistent experience
- Marketing tools, integrations, inventory management and analytics to help grow your business
- Access to hundreds of free and premium Wix market apps to integrate with your business
- SEO-friendly features, including an AI meta tag creator and an SEO Assistant that analyzes your website and creates a list of optimization suggestions
- Powerful eCommerce capabilities with built-in end-to-end merchant solutions
- 24/7 customer support
- Free and multi-solution premium plans available
Learn more: How much does a website cost
Squarespace makes it easy to build a professional web presence right from the start. Select a professionally designed template and craft your site using powerful CMS tools. The Squarespace editor blends easy-to-use elements of both drag-and-drop and point-and-click interfaces, allowing you to easily incorporate your text, logo and photos throughout your site.
Squarespace is versatile, with both website builder and online store functionality that enables you to sell products, plus facilitate service bookings and appointments. It supports various needs and budgets, offering plans for a variety of uses.
Key features of Squarespace
- Modern templates designed by professionals
- Versatile content management system (CMS)
- Mobile-responsive templates
- Ecommerce capabilities
- Intuitive and flexible website editor
- Plans start at $23 per month
03. Square Online
Formerly known as Weebly, Square Online is a user-friendly website builder and eCommerce solution offered by Square to complement its payment processing service. It simplifies online business setup, allowing you to start with a free pre-configured website template. While the free plan offers basic editing features, additional elements like website analytics, advanced customization and the ability to connect a custom domain are available with a paid plan.
Paid plans offer a range of eCommerce perks, including online booking, abandoned cart recovery, order status alerts and a customer loyalty program. Additionally, these plans provide responsive themes, inventory management for online and offline stores, multi-channel integration and compatibility with third-party apps. If you’re a high-volume seller, you can access real-time shipping rates and a lower processing fees (2.6% + 30 cents) with a Premium plan
Key features of Square Online
- Seamless integration with Square for point-of-sale (POS) and inventory management
- Mobile-responsive templates
- Versatile eCommerce capabilities
- User-friendly website editor with a simple interface
- Free and premium plans available starting at $29 per month
Shopify is a popular choice for small businesses with its easy-to-navigate platform, user-friendly dashboard and robust eCommerce solution. Its basic drag-and-drop editor lets you customize an online store with a few simple clicks.
Choose from a limited assortment of free templates, or opt for a paid theme starting at $150. Fortunately, Shopify lets you try any template before you purchase it; once purchased, you can publish your theme as a live website. Shopify’s standout feature is its extensive third-party app repository, offering thousands of integrations to enhance your online store. Note, however, that many of these apps come at an additional cost.
Shopify offers a three-day free trial (extendable to three months for $1), with three paid monthly plans catering to different needs and budgets.
Key features of Shopify
- Dedicated eCommerce platform
- Responsive design with a consistent look and functionality on all devices
- Abundance of third-party apps to customize your store’s features
- Built-in sales, marketing and analytics tools help boost your brand
- Plans start at $39 per month
WordPress is a well-known website builder ideal for service providers and creatives aiming for a polished website. Rather than providing a lot of native functionality, WordPress relies on plugins to enhance your site. For instance, the WooCommerce plugin adds product listings and cart functionality to your WordPress site.
Most hosting providers support WordPress with a basic monthly hosting plan, often including a free domain for the first year. WordPress’s user-friendly interface simplifies website creation, editing and upkeep, making it a good choice for small businesses and new entrepreneurs.
Key features of WordPress
- Wide assortment of free and premium themes to match your brand
- Integrates with a rich array of plugins for diverse purposes
- User-friendly interface and intuitive website dashboard
- Robust blogging platform
- Active community that continuously contributes to platform improvements
- Plans start at $9 per month
06. 10Web AI Builder
10Web combines AI with WordPress functionality for a hands-off approach to website creation. 10Web automates this process, resulting in high-performing sites in minutes. You can either create a site from scratch, or supply the AI Builder with a URL to your favorite existing website on WordPress, and watch it replicate the layout for you in minutes.
This platform is ideal for business owners who are interested in using WordPress for their website CMS, but they don’t necessarily want to hire a developer for a custom build—or they lack the know-how to do it themselves.
10Web’s AI algorithm can be used to optimize speed, SEO and mobile responsiveness. Moreover, you gain access to over 50 premium WordPress plugins to further enhance your website’s functionality.
Key features of 10Web
- Utilize AI to swiftly build high-performing websites
- Replicates the design of admired sites on WordPress in minutes
- Access to premium WordPress plugins
- Plans start at $20 per month
Pixpa is a compelling option for creating either an online portfolio or an online store. Whether you’re an artist, entrepreneur, small business owner or photographer, Pixpa equips you with essential tools to effectively create and manage a website.
Pixpa’s eCommerce tools allow you to sell a variety of items, including physical products, services and digital files. For example, as a photographer, you can sell your images as downloads or prints. The platform supports popular payment gateways like Stripe, Razorpay, PayPal and others, and it features order and inventory management tools to streamline the sales process.
Key features of Pixpa
- Allows you to sell products, services, digital files and images as prints or downloads
- Responsive design with support for a variety of devices
- Tools for order and inventory management
- Plans start at $10 per month
Zyro’s website builder makes the process of crafting a business website simple. You can choose from responsive templates that work on any device and customize it completely to match your brand vision and style. Creating appealing eCommerce pages is easy thanks to streamlined workflows, including automatic tools that simplify shipping, delivery and tax procedures.
An AI writer, or copy generator, is also among Zyro’s features, enabling you to generate professional, SEO-friendly content that you can use across blog posts, product descriptions and more.
Key features of Zyro
- Hassle-free website creation
- Streamlined eCommerce tools with simplified workflows
- Automatic features for shipping, delivery and tax management
- AI tools provide unique, SEO-optimized content
- Plans start at $12.99 per month
GoDaddy is a recognized leader in domain registration and offers a website building solution that’s particularly favored by beginners due to its user-friendly features. You can use prebuilt templates by answering some simple questions about your business, then employ the drag-and-drop editor to customize your site.
GoDaddy’s appointment booking tool is a useful feature, especially for service-oriented businesses. Additionally, GoDaddy caters to specific industry needs and has a built-in library of stock photos. Beyond website creation, GoDaddy provides integrated social media, marketing and SEO tools, easily accessible through the editor or dashboard.
Key features of GoDaddy
- No technical expertise needed to build and customize your site
- Marketing and SEO tools available to enhance your site’s visibility
- Basic eCommerce capabilities
- Appointment booking tool for service-based businesses
- Free and premium plans starting at $9.99 per month
Shift4Shop’s eCommerce solution offers a feature-rich website builder complete with product and order management systems, customer marketing tools and more. You can choose from over 100 professionally-designed templates, each tailored to specific industries. These templates are mobile-friendly, SEO-friendly and highly customizable.
Notably, Shift4Shop offers an unlimited, enterprise-grade plan for $0 per month when you process a minimum of $500 per month through the Shift4 payment solution; otherwise, new customer plans with PayPal begin at $29 per month.
Key features of Shift4Shop
- Turnkey eCommerce solution
- Industry-specific templates that are mobile- and SEO-friendly
- Intuitive web design tool
- Innovative pricing model for enterprise solutions
- Free for businesses that process at least $500 per month; $29 per month otherwise
Volusion presents a comprehensive online selling platform designed to facilitate all stages of your store, from creation to management and expansion. Non-technical users can appreciate its intuitive eCommerce website builder and content editor, making modifications to your online store quick and easy.
Volusion includes distinctive capabilities, such as product video options, allowing you to share more detailed information about the items you sell. You can also expand and scale your business with built-in SEO tools and email marketing support with a customer relationship manager (CRM) system.
Key features of Volusion
- All-in-one solution for creating, managing and expanding online stores
- Intuitive content editor
- Lets users add video (e.g., product demonstrations) to online stores
- Plans start at $35 per month
Editor’s note: all prices are current as of October 19, 2023.