Discover the latest and most powerful AI writing tools to enhance your efficiency and creativity.
Let’s face it, writing can be difficult—which is why writing assistants that use artificial intelligence (AI) are in high demand these days. Today, AI writing tools aren’t just good for writing cheeky ad copy. They’re powerful enough to write website content from the ground up, and to make your work as a writer easier and sharper than before. You’ve got your choice of tools for note-taking, improving grammar, writing SEO tags, translating text, editing copy and much more.
Below you’ll find a list of the best AI writing tools in our opinion that help with one or more specific aspects of writing. They can help you generate ideas more quickly, conquer writer’s block and make the entire process of writing more efficient. So, let’s dive in, starting with our own proprietary tool, Wix’s AI-powered text generator.
See the full power of Wix’s AI-powered website builder up close.
15 AI writing tools to check out
- Hemingway Editor
Best for: Website copy creation
Great for product descriptions for an eCommerce website or just general site copy creation, Wix’s tool for AI text generation can be accessed in several ways. You can access it from the Wix Editor within certain modules (e.g., product descriptions, or wherever you add a text element to a page), or use Wix’s templates to generate an entire site. In the latter case, the copy will be automatically written across your website. By inputting just a few details about your business, you can generate text for all of your site pages: your homepage, About page, Services page—you name it.
Tap Wix to create hundreds of unique product descriptions in a matter of minutes. Or, get the creative juices flowing with fresh, punchy text ideas.
Try out the text generator by signing up for Wix today.
- Built-in integration with Wix’s overall website editor, which allows for a unified content marketing strategy
- Unique copy for a variety of web pages, including your About page, Welcome page, product descriptions and more
- Adapts copy to the space available for the content
- Flexible and versatile: results are specific to your industry and intent
Pricing: Wix’s AI text generation tool is available with any free or Premium Wix plan—no character or AI prompt limits.
Best for: Grammar checks and enhancing writing style
Grammarly has long been known as a digital writing tool designed to enhance your writing by checking for grammar, wordiness and tone. Its focus is on keeping your writing clear, error-free and impactful. Most recently, the platform added GrammarlyGO, a generative AI feature that uses ChatGPT’s large language model (LLM) that can compose new text, rewrite, personalize and more across your favorite apps (think: Gmail, Google Docs and Microsoft Word). Grammarly’s AI writer can additionally assist with paraphrasing content, or writing new copy for your resume, business report and more.
- AI-based writing assistance that provides real-time feedback and corrections to improve the overall flow and style of writing
- Integration with various platforms, including email systems, browsers and word processing apps
- Other core Grammarly features include tone detection and plagiarism checker, which checks your work against billions of web pages to make sure your content is original
Pricing*: Grammarly offers essential writing suggestions, AI text generation and tone detection for free. Premium plans are available for $12/month and come with additional features, plus 1,000 AI prompts (versus just 100 with the free version). Business plans cost $15/month with all the same features as Premium plans, plus team features like a style guide and brand tone.
Best for: Content creation and writing assistance
Rytr is an AI writer and content improver. It generates long-form content like blog posts, checks plagiarism, creates outlines and briefs, and supports more than 30 languages. You can specify writing tone (e.g., assertive, casual, etc.) and choose from a selection of use cases. Use cases may include anything from a blog outline and job description, to song lyrics and YouTube video descriptions. You can further enhance or change existing text using a built-in command bar.
- AI-powered writing assistant that makes it easy to revise and enhance existing text
- Built-in grammar, tone and plagiarism checker
- Supports more than 30 languages and 20 tones
- Can use as a standalone platform or as a plugin with popular writing apps and search apps like Semrush
Pricing: Rytr offers a free plan that includes 10,000 characters per month and access to core features, like use cases, tones and their built-in plagiarism checker. They have two tiers of paid plans for $9 or $29/month, with the latter offering the most customization options and dedicated support. Annual plans are available and allow you to get two months free.
Best for: Content creation, particularly longform content
Jasper is an AI writing tool built on the same LLM as ChatGPT. It has an accessible interface and integrated prompt “templates” that make it ideal for content writers, marketers and agencies. Like many AI writing tools, it has a built-in plagiarism checker though it costs extra to run plagiarism scans. It has many extras like a chat feature (similar to ChatGPT), a built-in AI art generator and a handy way to organize projects.
- Dozens of content templates that cover just about every writing use case you can think of including blog posts, content summarizing, marketing strategies, company bio, etc.
- Brand voice alignment that allows users to create various writing styles based on sample snippets of text
- Real-time collaboration that lets users easily share and collaborate on projects.
Pricing: Jasper starts at $49/month for a monthly “Creator” plan. That gets you unlimited text generation and access to most of the bells and whistles of what is a very feature-rich platform. It only includes one seat, but the small-business “Teams” plan starts at $125/month for three seats and access to some more robust features. They also offer an enterprise plan with custom pricing. The Creator and Teams plans both have seven-day free trial options, plus offer 20% in savings if you opt for yearly billing.
Best for: SEO-driven content and project collaboration
Frase is an SEO research tool and content writer in one. It has features that help you optimize existing content by importing documents or generating text directly on the platform. With its user-friendly interface, it’s a popular choice among content creators, SEO specialists and digital marketers. It offers assistance with content briefs, question research and content scoring. The Frase AI writer is available with the Pro add-on, in addition to other advanced SEO features.
- Real-time SEO suggestions as you write (including elements like word count, link info and domain authority for top-ranking pages for a given keyword)
- People Also Ask tool that displays what your audience is asking online—great for coming up with topic ideas and helping you tailor content to specific queries
- Content curation that uses AI to gather and organize content from various sources
- AI-generated content briefs based on your target keywords
Pricing: Solo plans start at $14.66/month ($12.99/month if paid annually) with a limit of four articles/month and one user seat. Basic plans are $44.99/month ($38.25/month if paid annually) for up to 30 articles and one user seat. If you need unlimited articles, you’ll want the Team plan, which costs $114.99/month ($97.75/month if paid annually) for three user seats. The Pro Add-on unlocks unlimited AI content and other premium features for an additional $35/month.
Best for: Marketing-focused content creation, including images and video
Another AI-powered content creator, Simplified’s key selling point is that it’s really good at generating content—including copy, graphics, and video—for marketing campaigns. For content producers, Simplified has all the content-creation features needed to support a comprehensive content strategy including built-in formats for generating social media content (headlines, Instagram and Facebook Stories, newsletter copy, etc.) You can even produce short films with the tool.
- Large media library that includes millions of free images, audio clips, videos and design templates
- Supports more than 30 languages
- Content calendar to help you plan, schedule and publish posts on social media
- Real-time collaboration tools so teams can easily work together on projects
- Brand kits that store your brand elements like colors, fonts and media files
Pricing: While Simplified is an all-in-one platform aimed at marketers, its various tools are priced separately. For example, the Design Editor costs $9/month for the pro version (or $6/month if paid yearly). The AI Writer Pro is $18/month (or $12/month if paid yearly). That said, Simplified offers free plans across all of its major capabilities: graphic design, video editor, AI writer and social media.
Best for: Transcribing and summarizing meetings and audio
Otter.ai is an AI-powered transcription tool that converts spoken content into written text. It can capture and transcribe live conversations, meetings, lectures and other audio sources with high accuracy. You can additionally upload audio and video files, and create searchable transcripts for them. Otter connects to popular online meeting tools like Google Meet and Zoom, plus provides live summaries of meetings in real-time. It makes meeting notes searchable and collaborative since they can be shared with team members, clients, consultants, etc.
- Real-time transcription that lets you easily transcribe live conversations as they happen
- Powerful AI-driven speaker identification distinguishes between different speakers in a conversation and is great at understanding different languages and accents
- Creates searchable meeting transcripts
- Integrates with popular platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools
- Team features including editing and sharing.
Pricing: Otter offers a free Basic plan that includes AI meeting transcriptions, Chat and other features. You’re allowed 300 monthly transcriptions (30 minutes per conversation). Its paid plans range from $16.99/month ($10/month if paid annually) to $40/month ($20/month if paid annually), though custom packages are also available. All paid plans come with team features, “import and transcribe” and more—seats and transcription minutes vary by package.
Best for: Improving your writing with grammar, style and general content writing tips
ProWritingAid is a versatile AI-powered writing assistant that provides suggestions and improvements for your written content. It seamlessly integrates with various apps, both desktop and online, making it easy to incorporate into your flow of work. The platform is endorsed by many users who have seen significant improvements in their writing skills and clarity after using the tool.
- Cross-platform integration means it works across various apps like Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Scrivener
- Comprehensive writing feedback offers more than just grammar checks, helping to enhance the overall quality of writing
- Built-in editing assistant acts as a personal editor, helping you refine your own content for a better reader experience
Pricing: ProWritingAid offers a free plan with a 500-word limit, which gives you just enough space to test its features. Its Premium plan costs $30/month (or $10/month if paid annually) and gives you unlimited word count and access to all features.
Best for: Paraphrasing content while maintaining or improving fluency and readability
QuillBot is a paraphrasing tool that uses AI to help you rewrite or rephrase text. Quillbot’s focus is on making written content more fluent and “readable” and, as such, is more of an add-on tool versus a full-fledged generative AI tool. It connects with common writing tools like Word, Google Docs and more—plus has a Chrome extension.
- Paraphrases content based on preset styles (e.g., formal, academic, etc.); you can also add your own custom style
- Revises content by expanding, shortening, simplifying, etc.
- Provides before/after readability scores on rephrased text
- Lots of built-in writing aids, including a thesaurus, grammar checker, plagiarism checker, content summarizer and citation generator
Pricing: The basic version of QuillBot is free, but you only get 125 words for the Paraphraser or 1,200 words for the Summarizer. Premium plans are available for $19.95/month ($13.33/month if paid semi-annually, or $8.33 if paid annually). Premium users can paraphrase an unlimited number of words and can summarize up to 6,000 words at a time.
10. Hemingway Editor
Best for: Improving your writing with a focus on making it more concise and readable
Hemingway’s AI-powered writing assistant helps you craft bolder and clearer content. The editor scans text to identify potential areas of improvement. It then highlights text in different colors based on what needs fixing. There are five areas of improvement including: weak writing, confusing sentence structure, complex words, weak adverbs and passive voice. Hemingway additionally gives you a readability score that displays a basic content rating (good, OK, etc.), along with the estimated grade level for a piece of writing.
- The unique highlighting system makes it easy to focus on where to improve your writing; each color works towards achieving the main goal of making your writing stronger and more legible
- Readability score estimates reading level and the ideal reading level to shoot for (e.g., “Keep writing below the 10th-grade level for general audiences”)
- Summary panel offers a word count, estimated reading time and a breakdown of the number of highlights in each category
- Desktop app (paid version) allows offline use, saving work within the app, exporting in various formats (PDF, HTML, Word, Markdown) and direct publishing to platforms like Medium and WordPress
Pricing: The Hemingway Editor is available for free online. You can download their desktop app for a one-time payment of $19.99. The paid version offers more usability features but provides the same level of text analysis as the free version.
Best for: Writing and revising job recruitment-related language and enhancing inclusivity in hiring
Textio is a self-described “intelligent recruiting solution” that offers writing assistance specifically tailored for HR and recruitment teams. This is a specialty writing assistant that caters to medium and large businesses in various sectors like IT, healthcare, finance and education. Textio stands out as a tool that not only improves candidate response rates but also boosts team productivity and promotes language inclusivity.
- Intuitive suggestions focused on helping users improve their writing
- Job description assistance, complete with automated suggestions that can support writing multiple job descriptions at once
- Real-time editing and AI-driven suggestions
- Searchable database of job candidates
- Language bias detection that identifies biased language so that it’s easy to remove
- Integration with major Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), like Greenhouse, Lever, and Jobvite
Pricing: Pricing is available upon request.
Best for: Keyword research and SEO analysis
While not a standalone AI content tool, Semrush complements your content and marketing strategy by providing AI-assisted keyword intelligence and analysis. The platform provides content marketing tips and insights that inform all aspects of keyword and content planning. The focus is on finding keyword and content ideas to improve web marketing tactics like SEO, PPC, content and social media marketing. Semrush offers a built-in SEO Writing Assistant that helps you rephrase, compose or evaluate content. It also offers a free AI Writing Assistant app that provides a dedicated workspace for creating articles, images, job descriptions and more.
- Content analyzer evaluates the quality of your content, suggests improvements and identifies content gaps compared to competitors.
- SEO writing assistant evaluates content for readability, originality, tone of voice and SEO
- AI Writing Assistant app generates content for a plethora of use cases, including blogs, press releases, emails and more
Pricing: While its AI features and add-ons are available for free with any Semrush plan, Semrush is a professional tool aimed at mid-to-large businesses—with a price tag that matches. The Pro plan costs $129.95/month ($108.33/month if paid annually) for five projects and up to 500 trackable keywords. The enterprise plans (Guru and Business) cost $249.95/month ($208.33/month if paid annually) and $499.95/month ($416.66/month if paid annually), respectively, and offer lots of perks for pro users.
Best for: Fact-checking, and helping non-native English speakers with their writing
Wordtune is an AI-based writing tool that helps you write better and faster. It can help you present ideas more clearly, concisely and creatively. It can also help you strengthen content with more valuable information and details that you may have missed initially. The platform claims to check at least five sources before deeming a fact credible to use. Wordtune specializes in five main capabilities: rewriting, writing assistance, new content generation, summarization and AI Q&A (Answers).
- AI-powered writing assistant the provides real-time suggestions as you write
- Tone-suggestion tool that changes sentence phrasing based on tone (e.g., professional, casual, excited)
- Wordtune “Spices” uses AI to “spice up” your text—this is a plug-and-play tool that enhances the text you give it by adding details, expanding on topics, providing definitions, adding a counter argument and more
- Integrates easily with popular writing apps and platforms like Word, Google Docs, LinkedIn and X (formerly Twitter); there’s also a Chrome extension
- Provides foreign language translation (from foreign language to English) for non-native English speakers
Pricing: Wordtune is free for up to 10 rewrites or “spices” a day and a handful of other features, including AI prompts, summaries and text corrections. The Plus version is available for $24.99/month (or $9.99/month if paid annually) and gets you 30 rewrites and spices a day, plus unlimited text corrections and text recommendations. There’s an Unlimited version for $37.50/month (or $14.99/month if paid annually) that comes with unlimited everything and premium support. And, finally, a Business version has even more features, but you’ll need to reach out to Wordtune for pricing on that.
Best for: Generating website, social media and sales and marketing content
Copy.ai is an AI writing tool designed to assist in content creation.The tool aims to alleviate writer’s block and help you churn out high-quality marketing copy. It’s not a long-form content (yet) generator, but excels at crafting blog titles, outlines, meta descriptions and other short-form content. It’s great for helping you write faster and better.
- Templated content generator lets you generate content for specific uses like ad copy, Facebook headlines and product descriptions
- Freestyle tool lets you generate unlimited content for use cases that may not be available on the app yet
- Chrome Extension makes it easy to generate copy on the fly in Google Docs and Gmail tools
- Multiple language support and translation lets you enter content in one language and generate it in an output language (e.g., English to Spanish)
Pricing: Copy.ai offers a free plan, allowing for 2,000 words, one user seat, Chat and unlimited projects. Its Pro plan costs $49/month (or $36/month if paid annually) and offers unlimited words, five user seats and advanced features like unlimited brand voices, pre-built prompt templates and support for more than 95 languages. Copy.ai additionally offers an Enterprise option that comes with unlimited seats and a dedicated account manager; pricing is available upon request.
Best for: Copywriting assistance for marketing teams
Anyword is an AI-driven copywriting tool designed to help marketers, writers and businesses generate high-converting copy for various platforms. It uses advanced machine learning models to understand the context of a piece of writing and produce ads, emails, website content and other copy that resonate with your audiences.
- Platform-specific recommendations tailored for Facebook, Google Ads, Instagram, etc.
- Predictive performance insights for copy gives you a sense of how copy will perform pre-launch
- Language and tone customization adjust the tone of the content to match your brand voice
Pricing: Anyword has several paid plans. The Starter plan costs $49/month (or $39/month if paid annually) and includes one seat, more than 100 marketing templates and other features. The Data-Driven plan costs $99/month (or $79/month if paid annually) and comes with three user seats, unlimited content improver and more. The Business plan costs $499/month (or $249/month if paid annually) and includes three seats, unlimited copy assets and more. All plans have a seven-day free trial. Enterprise, or custom, pricing is available upon request.
* Note: The prices listed in this article were last updated September 22, 2023.